Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Where's the best ultimate?

Thanks to google trends, you can kind of get an idea of where ultimate is the most popular:

skitched-20080213-200829.jpg

That's a list of the popularity of the search term "ultimate frisbee" by city. The only surprise on the list for me is Philly. I'd expect Pittsburgh to be above them -- especially given the success of their high school and college teams.

Ottawa might surprise a few folks, but they have the largest rec league in the world. The league even owns their own fields. It surprises me that they don't have better club teams coming out of there every year, but I think that's changing (GOAT has some Ottawa players, and just this past weekend, their college women's team won Trouble in Vegas).

Then you've got the Pacific Northwest dominating the 2, 3, 4 spots.

I'm a little surprised Minneapolis hasn't got that 5th spot. With Minnesota's college team always in the mix, Carleton a powerhouse, the high school league in the state is one of the best, and a greatly organized group of rec leagues, I'd expect Denver and Toronto to take a back seat.

Given leagues, club teams, college teams, etc, excluding internet related data, here are my top 10 ultimate cities:

1. Seattle
2. Ottawa
3. Minneapolis
4. Portland
5. Vancouver
6. Boston
7. Denver
8. Atlanta
9. Madison
10. Pittsburgh

4 comments:

jimmy said...

I think the google thing is interesting but why are these people typing in "ultimate frisbee". Most ultimate players know how to find what they are looking for.

Are you making the twin cities into Minneapolis? I think MN has to lose a lot of points for the lack of winter ultimate. An hour here or there is nothing compared to places like Austin and Cali where they can play all year. I feel like there is 6 months without ultimate in this state. The summer is jam packed with ultimate.

You seem to have Boston really low on your list. I would also say you are over emphasizing Pittsburgh from what I've seen. Madison is a good pick if we are going on percentage of population and not just volume of players. But if we are going with percentages there are probably a lot of small places with big percentages.

Melissa Jo Gibbs said...

There's no way any place in California doesn't get a nod. San Francisco? I also would consider either Austin or Dallas. Just my little penny x2.

Rahil said...

don't hate on Toronto. We've got a large touring community here...

April said...

you forgot fayetteville, aka ultimate powerhouse