Monday, July 16, 2007

Misery Loves CompaKnee

Friday my right knee ached a little.

Saturday, I began to limp and both knees were hurting.

After practice Sunday, I wanted to go straight to the doctor, hoping the cortisone injection would be waiting for me.

Four 200mg milligram ibuprofin tablets aren't doing the trick anymore. I feel like the Luis Castillo of the VBB right now, except I'll never set a major league record for consecutive games without an error. I could, however, become the Spanish interpreter of the team. Just ask the extremely impressed server from La Fuente.

The sweatfest that was the last VBB practice was not to be repeated. Slightly cooler weather allowed for a couple tolerable practice days. Still hot, but tolerable.

Practice for me was okay. I turned it over twice on my first 3 throws, then not again until Sunday, when I turned it over 2 times in one point, and a third time on what I felt was a pretty good throw. Defensively, I got just one D. I should have had about 7. At least 5 times, the disc was within reach and I was hurting too much to give it the little extra. The one time I did lay out, I landed in a bad patch of grass, got up and my hand was perforated by tiny thorned seeds. My hand was bleeding in little tiny spots all over my hands that reminded me of when Inigo Montoya gets stabbed by the sword in the Princess Bride and little circular blood stains magically appear on his shirt.

Drill-wise, I had much fun. A lot of marking and breaking, my favorite things. Throw in a handler up line cutting drill and my perfect practice comes to life. Oh, and for the few minutes on Sunday morning before my knee started to ache, I was able to chase down a disc on D in the huck drill and knock it away, followed very aptly by "Now who's slow, Kevin? Now who's slow?" obnoxiousness.

The answer to that question was, of course, "Lou ... on every sprint after that one."

And now a brief interlude for you numerous readers out there who loyally monitor my blog and know very little about me, fasten your seat belts:
  • Ever since learning that a banana can be gently trisected into even thirds, every bite of a banana I ever take, I coax the banana apart in my mouth into the three chunks before chewing it up.
  • I have an extra vertebrae. It's great fodder for an excellently dirty pick up line that I'll probably use on Dave Karsten sometime soon.
  • I cannot for the life of me remember song lyrics. If fantasy singing-to-the-radio-in-the-car were one of the fantasy sports, "negative Lou" would be the top pick. I don't even remember the lyrics for some of my favorite songs of all time, but I do try to sing along anyway. And sometimes when I'm actually able to remember the words, I've memorized the wrong ones. I was reminded of that on the way back from Ames listening to Spirit in the Sky when I sang "I've got a friend named Jesus," while Becky sang the correct lyrics. Oops.
  • I once lost more money in one hand of poker than I earn in an entire month. I lost even more on the very next hand. To the same guy. In both hands, I flopped the nuts, he went all in, I called, and he caught a card to beat me. That's poker.
  • I read a LOT, but almost exclusively non-fiction.
  • I love food. I like to cook, bake, and eat it. I watch a lot of Food Network and I'm willing to try to cook just about anything from homemade fried chicken to fettuccine alfredo. Given all that, it might surprise you that my favorite food is pickles. I like them so much, I sometimes open the fridge in the morning searching for breakfast and have to talk myself out of eating just pickles for my first meal of the day.
And now back to our regularly scheduled blogging.

VBB has been a lot of fun. On the field, between points, during breaks, socializing in general. You can't ask for much more than what the VBB roster brings to the table: good humor, competitive play, tremendous blogging skills, etc., etc. I like everything so much that I'm even really hopeful that I will still like our team in a couple weeks when we receive our ghastly jerseys.

At least they aren't turtle necks, I suppose.

4 comments:

ellsworthless said...

I'll show you ghastly.
http://mcmlxxxiv.wordpress.com/vbb-merch/

vbb07 said...

You should add the iRead application on Facebook. It's a nice way to share what you're reading with other people. Plus, as someone who also reads a lot, I like to brag about it on the internet.

One of the great things about the VBB is that despite enormous differences in politics, religious beliefs, regionalism, occupations, etc. we all get along really well. I guess you can chalk it up to the old CLX formula of deriving order through chaos (although I think that concept originated from Zen Buddhism.)

Melissa Jo Gibbs said...

Haha, I loved the interlude. My response is as follows:
-Trisected bananas? Now that I'm more aware of the phenomenon, I'll probably find myself doing it too but I can't help but finding the whole subject entirely to erotic.
-You have a tail!? Sweet.
-It's been rumored that I can sing any song that comes on the radio...exactly opposite of your capabilities which would provide interesting carrides.
-I have nothing to say about poker except I suck at it but it's one of three card games I'll play.
-I love reading too...I've wanted to be a librarian for some time but it requires more school...I'm not about to do that. I had a blog entry started about what I read in The Game...I should finish that soon.
-If you like cooking, you can come over here any time you want and I will eat it too. I love food, watching others make it for me, and eating it. We would be perfect together!

Warrior Princess said...

Chad...Buddha...well, you can see the connection.